Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Yarns are wiley creatures...and the importance of understanding "ease".

"Ease"-so what is this ease? Simply put it is yarns ability to stretch or lack thereof. Sometimes you'll hear people talk about negative or positive ease-all it means is: a yarn stretches very little or not at all (negative ease), or stretches quite a lot (positive ease).


What is a knitter to do with an unknown yarn? How will I know how much this stuff is going to stretch (ease)? Well the proper way to find out is to swatch it baby! A swatch is 4"X4" sample of the pattern/stitch that you want to use. Make sure to write down the dimensions before washing so you can compare it to the finished swatch. 

I'll let you in on a little secret....I HATE swatching-really dislike it! I don't know about you, but once I've got my mitts on some luscious new yarn and have a concept in mind I just want to dive in and make it. Who wants to sit around making silly little squares-plus it always feels like a waste of perfectly good yarn. Impulsive, yes, but can you fault a yarn addict really? 

However if you are going to do a garment & the yarn is new to you-the best policy is swatch. There is nothing worse than finding out that your lovely new top has gone from a medium to tent size in one washing! 

To show you what I mean-let's look at this scarf I made in from a single skein of "sock" yarn. It was the last one in the store and a fingerling weight which I thought would be perfect for a nice lace scarflette (small scarf overlapped and secured w/a button or two). I did a few repeats of the stitch with different sized needles until I got to a laciness that I liked; no swatch here for this lady.

Unwashed "scarflette", 32"X 6 1/2"
Unwashed "scarflette" 32"X 6 1/2"

His Royal Fuzziness critiquing my photography skills.




....and then I washed it and lade flat to dry. At the time I thought maybe it would ease 5". Nope. Note even close. My darling scarflette was now a full size scarf-that darned thing had eased a whole 15"! My little scarf grew from 32" in length to an amazing 47"; yarns can fool you my friends.
To be honest, I was secretly pleased that the scarf had finished itself and wouldn't need any buttons. Can you imagine if I had made a top out of that yarn-what I pickle I would have been in?! 




The lesson of day is: always do a test swatch AND then wash & dry it. Happy Knitting!





No comments:

Post a Comment